Share this page on LinkedIn
Share This Page on Google+
Share This Page on Twitter
tell someone about this page print this page
You are here: Contents > 2014 > Volume 23 Number 6 November 2014 > MITRAL VALVE DISEASE > Does the Number of Redo Mitral Valve Replacements for Structural Valve Deterioration affect Early and Late Outcomes? Experience from 114 Reoperative Cases

Does the Number of Redo Mitral Valve Replacements for Structural Valve Deterioration affect Early and Late Outcomes? Experience from 114 Reoperative Cases

Naoto Fukunaga, Yukikatsu Okada, Yasunobu Konishi, Takashi Murashita, Tadaaki Koyama

Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Kobe City Medical Center General Hospital, Kobe, Hyogo, Japan

Background and aim of the study: Whether the number of reoperative mitral valve replacements (MVRs) for structural valve deterioration (SVD) affects early or late survival is unclear. Hence, the aim of the present study was to investigate this issue.

Methods: A total of 114 consecutive patients (84 females, 30 males; mean age 63.4 ± 11.9 years) who underwent 141 redo MVRs for SVD during a 20-year period was retrospectively analyzed. Of these patients, 87 (76.3%) had undergone first-time reoperations (87 redos; group A), while the remaining 27 (23.7%) had undergone two or more reoperations (54 redos; group B). The mean follow up period was 8.5 ± 6.8 years, and the follow up rate was 96.2%.

Results: NYHA functional class III or IV was noted in 34 patients (39.1%) of group A, and in 17 patients (63.0%) of group B (p = 0.0292).

 

The EuroSCORE and logistic EuroSCORE in group B were significantly higher than those in group A. The hospital mortality rate was 4.6% in group A and 11.1% in group B (p = 0.1430). Logistic regression analysis revealed risk factors for hospital mortality to be the number of reoperations (OR 4.399; p = 0.0467) and NYHA class III or IV (OR 9.090; p = 0.0483). There were no significant differences in five-, 10- or 15-year survival rates between groups A and B (log-rank test, p = 0.3369). A Cox regression analysis showed advanced age to be the only predictor of late mortality (HR = 1.098; p = 0.0013).

Conclusion: Irrespective of whether a patient has undergone two or more reoperative MVRs, a better long-term survival can be expected before progression of the patient’s NYHA functional class.

The Journal of Heart Valve Disease 2014;23:688-694
Does the Number of Redo Mitral Valve Replacements for Structural Valve Deterioration affect Early and Late Outcomes? Experience from 114 Reoperative Cases

Click the above hyperlink to view the article, right click (Ctrl click on a Mac) to open in a new browser window or tab.

Purchase this Article

Please click the button below to purchase this article. Single article purchases are provided at $50.00 per article. Upon clicking the button below, single article user account subscription details are requested and, upon successful payment, a single article user account is created. Single articles are availble in your account for seven days after purchase.